Getting admission in medical school in India is no easy feat. MBBS is considered one of the most prestigious and challenging courses in India. The 5-year programme gives an academic understanding of several concepts including human anatomy, medicine, chemistry, drug formulation, method of surgery, and pharmaceutical experience. Even though the competition for getting into medical schools is really tough, the field of study is quite popular amongst students as it not only brings the prospect of money but also of prestige.

Admission to a medical school in India is dependent solely on a national-level entrance test called NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test). All MBBS aspirants must clear the entrance test for securing admission. Typically, all the private and government medical colleges, deemed universities and universities consider NEET score to grant MBBS admissions.

Medical School Eligibility Criteria

Here is the eligibility criteria for getting admission in medical school in India:

  • Students should pass class 12th or equivalent from a recognized board with a minimum score of 50%.
  • Students should have studied chemistry, biology, and physics as main subjects in 12th class or equivalent.
  • Students applying for admission in a medical school in India must fall in the age bracket of 12 to 25 years.

Medical School Admission Process

Medical Counselling Committee (MCC) conducts MBBS admissions through NEET for 15% of All India Quota (AIQ) seats. Students applying for AIQ MBBS admissions can secure a seat in any medical college throughout the country. State governments conduct MBBS admission for the remaining 85% of the seats. Once the aspirants have qualified the NEET entrance exam, they will be eligible to go through the state and central-level counselling process conducted to grant admission in medical school in India. The students listed in the merit list by MCC are eligible to participate in the admission process.

Here is the step-by-step admission process you can follow to secure admission in medical school in India:

  • Registration: Candidates aiming for 15% of AIQ MBBS seats must complete the registration process on the official website of MCC.
  • Counselling Fee Payment: On the completion of the registration process, applicants are required to pay the specified counselling fee online.
  • Locking Choices: After paying the counselling fee, candidates must submit their preferences. Candidates can also change the order of choices, delete existing ones or add new. Once done, they must lock the choices.
  • Seat Allotment: Candidates are allotted seats depending on the choices locked by them and NEET merit score. The seat allotment letter can be downloaded through the official website.
  • Reporting: Once they have downloaded the seat allotment letter, candidates are required to report to the college and submit all the mandatory documents. The admission will only be confirmed on reporting and submitting the required documents.

Getting admission in medical school in India is tough yet totally worth it. The field of medicine offers a myriad of lucrative job opportunities with high packages, making it a popular career prospect for students in India and abroad.

For More Details Visit: Sharda University

Also Read: